Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bike Ride

Today I went on a bike ride before one of my classes. It was one of the first bike rides I've gone on without my camera in a while, and, I must say, I did regret it. I didn't realize my mistake at first and rode happliy along. A young Mockingbird landed near the road and then flitted off as I aproached. Oh well, I wouldn't have been able to capture that anyway, especially on such an overcast day. Then we got to the trail. Although there was still plenty of green, several of the trees to either side were simply bursting with color. Sassafras leaves boasted soft shades of red and orange and yellow. Deep red vines of Virgina Creeper decorated the trunks of many trees. A carpet of leaves clothed the ground. (I really do love the sound of leaves crackling underfoot.) I forced myself to forget about all the wonderful pictures I could be taking and just enjoy the ride. It was truly a beautiful day.
I must go again tomorrow, this time properly equipped for the beauty that lies ahead. ;]

Monday, September 29, 2008

Vintage Sewing Attachments

We dug out an old box of attachments and, boy, did we find a treasure chest! We had gotten them with an old sewing machine at a yard sale a few years ago for only $3! contained many old contraptions that looked like they'd be as hard to figure out how to use as doing the work by hand. (Particularly the ruffler, which is the one farthest to the left in the above picture.)
We also had an old book that explained how to use each one, and dispite complex diagrams and long lists of parts and their functions, they were actually fairly simple to operate.
I am particularly excited about the four hemmers in the kit. I can't wait to easily sew hems with those handy little attachments. I did try out both the ruffler and the narrow hemmer, and was very pleased with the results.
The ruffler was especially fun to figure out, and I love how adjustable it is. It ruffle or plait, scantily or heavily, close together or far apart. And the Narrow Hemmer did a seam fabulously and easily.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Willow

A quick sketch made for the front of a card for Granparents' Day a week or two ago. It's Willow, my grandparents' old grey cat. I didn't do any fur detail, and it wasn't done in charcoal, but overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out. :]

Apron & Mitts

This is my most recent project:



An apron and matching oven mitts for my younger sister's 18" doll. I love the full aprons, but she likes half aprons, so I made a pocket in the back where she can fold down the top and use it as a half apron.


When the top part is up, there is a strap that goes around the back of the neck and Velcros in the front. The waist is tied with a large green bow.

The front also has small pocket with, of course, a squirrel on it. :]

The oven mitts have a quilted look, with lines sewn in a diamond pattern across the surface. I'm planning on adding a bit of elastic to the wrist because they're not staying on as well as I had hoped they would. You see, you need to make the opening a bit wide becasue of the spread fingers, but once you put it on, it's not too hard for it to fall off. Without elastic, there doesn't seem to be a way to achieve a good balance between hard to put on and easy to fall off. =P

Autumn is here!


School is in session, leaves are turning, and the nights are cooler. All the trees (and the ground!) will soon be clothed in blazing slendor. Sweaters will be donned, and children will be happily playing in leaves. Autumn is officially here! :]

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mopsy

This is the first pattern I've made, and so it does have a lot of room for improvement, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Especially with how far it's come.
I sketched out a pattern, ironed my fabric, did a little last-minute tweaking with the pattern, cut out my pieces, and sewed them together. Okay, all's good so far. Then I turned it out. It looked like a dinosaur. Notably, the nose was to small. Frustrated, I just cut off the nose an half-heartedly sewed on a new one. (By this time, I figured there was no fixing it.) It was turned back out, and I was surprised to see that I was actually pleased with the results. I added little patches full of stuffing to the cheeks, a big mop of a mane, ears, and voila! Mopsy was born.
She has trouble standing with her thin legs, as well as a few other problems, but, all-in-all, I love her. :]

So much blogging, so little time!

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity. School started at the end of August, and there's been a lot of work to be done. ( Calculus, Chemistry, History, OH MY!) I have been sewing, though, so I have lots of things I want to post. :)
First of all, I made my very first pattern. For a stuffed horse, of course! She'll be making her debut in later post. ;) I've also made a few other things, plus a bunch of pointy kitties. =^.^=

Pointy Kitty pattern from Wee Wonderfuls.