Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

Feeder Count

I have a tube feeder (with a tray at the bottom for the more portly fellows) outside the kitchen window filled with black oil sunflower seed, and it was quite a success this week. We saw 9 species, which included...
American Goldfinch
...American Goldfinch,(can't wait to see this guy with his breeding plumage!) who was rather messy, as you can see by his tossing of a seed hull...
Black-Capped Chickadee
...Black-Capped Chickadees (including a rather large one dubbed Gandolf)...
Northern Cardinal
...Northern Cardinals, the male being seen nearly every day, multiple times a day...
Northern Cardinal
...and a female coming two or three times...
Pine Siskin
...a lovely Pine Siskin...
White-Breasted Nuthatch
...a White-Breasted Nuthatch, who, as you can see by my not-so-clear picture, is a bit camera shy...
Tufted Titmouse
...many Tufted Titmice, including one with a bent tail named Bilbo Baggins, for I fancy it was crimped in a tough spot in one of his many adventures in the wide world...
House Sparrow
...a House Sparrow who came just once that we know of...
Carolina Wren
...my very first Carolina Wren who now graces my life list...
Dark-Eyed Junco
...and many Dark-Eyed Juncos (of the slate-colored form) who clean up after their less tidy cousins.

4 comments:

  1. Aw how darling! I really enjoyed this little post of yours! Sweet birdies! I especially like the juncos who clean up after the other :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tagged you sweet-cheeks
    http://whiteoaklane.blogspot.com/2009/01/lemonade-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tag you are it again.
    http://whiteoaklane.blogspot.com/2009/01/molli-under-tree.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I love birds so much! You took such lovely photos of them as well. I never seem to be able to catch birds in time. They always seem to hear me before I get the camera ready and then they fly away. :(
    I love how you named them. And such lovely choices for names as well! I love Lord of the Rings. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! :)