Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Feather

This feather has been sitting around since last summer, when we found it in the yard. I just assumed it was from the nearby-nesting Baltimore Orioles because, well, it's yellow and black. Just recently, though, I happened upon The Feather Atlas. I was just browsing through casually, out of curiousity, when I happened upon one particular black and yellow, exactly eleven centimeter tail feather--from a Yellow-Shafted Northern Flicker--which I have never seen.


So I guess I have less than 1/1000 of a lifer.


I was wayyy excited about this because that means there was a Flicker in our yard last year, and we've got plenty of ants (their preferred food) so hopefully he or she'll come back. I wish I had known then, so I could've scoured the neighborhood, but it's too late now. :P At least I know they were nearby. :)

Oh, and as a side note, in that top picture, you can see part of a super-cute project I did, which I'll post tomorrow, hopefully with a tutorial. :D

3 comments:

  1. That's awesomee!! I hope he comes back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it's lovely! But I would be thinking that maybe there is some sort of a hybrid Steelers bird. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! :)